Monday 6 August 2012

IWM Duxford - Spitfires, Motors and Merlins


Yesterday, we visited the IWM Duxford for their Spitfires, Merlins and Motors event. 
I love Duxford and have wanted to trade there for ages so was super excited about the vintage fair which had been organised by Discover Vintage. 

Duxford is one of my most favourite places to visit and houses an amazing collection of war birds including a static Lancaster – my favourite WW2 plane.  We’ve been to a few of the displays put on at Duxford, the most special being Flying Legends which never disappoints.  As silly as it may seem, Duxford has a super special place in my heart because last year we treated my Dad to a ride in a Tiger Moth for his 60th Birthday.  A week before the flight was due to take place, he was rushed to hospital and underwent emergency surgery.  Classic Wings, the company who run the flights, were brilliant and allowed us to change the booking.  After a long recovery, to see him climb into the plane and get to fly it was pretty darn special and still makes me well up just thinking about it!  Daft I know.

Getting back to the point though, as the event name suggests, yesterday saw Spitfires and classic cars on site together.  The weather wasn’t overly kind and a deluge meant that not all the Spitfires managed to get into the air, and the one from the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight didn’t make it at all.  Although I was inside the hall for the most part, I did manage to get outside to see a pair of Spitfires swooping low over the runway and putting on a beautiful display.




As to the fair itself, well, the stalls were spread out around 3 large aircraft in the hall – it was the largest place we have ever stalled out in, very impressive.  There was a nice mix of stalls selling some amazing items. 



Some of our mens hats :o)

And some for the ladies - what a lovely backdrop!
The stall next to me had a much coveted collection of cream and green enamel kitchen ware but I resisted the urge to indulge :o)  I did, however, do a little bit of shopping and came home with these three items.


Another Lavenda knitting pattern to add to my collection for a very reasonable £1.50, a beautiful 1940's Economy Design sewing pattern for £10.00 and Mr Y tracked down the brooch for just £6.00! 

I also brought home another brooch.  It's made of perspex and has been so beautiful carved.  We did have it for sale on our stall but when it came to it, I couldn't part with it so it just had to come home :o) 

  
To add to the already atmospheric venue, entertainment was provided in the form of Major Swing and also The Swinging Sweethearts.  Major swing played some iconic tracks from the 1930's-1950's while doing a little bit of dancing too; even a few of the stall holders got up and did a little stroll.


The Swinging Sweethearts, quite simply, were brilliant.  I'd never heard of them before but they didn't disappoint.  They are very talented and we were lucky to have our stall right in front of the stage so had a brilliant view.  

Where ever we go, we seem to be lucky and meet some truly lovely people.  We met an Australian lady who fell in love with a pair of 1940’s dead stock shoes that we had and so they’ll be heading back to Oz with her shortly.  We also met a charming lady who is a fellow blogger, but I never found out what her blog is :o(  If you’re reading this, please get in touch.  She was petite enough to fit into a tiny Susan Small dress that we were selling and I think she looks amazing in it.  The photograph doesn’t really do it justice because there is a huge bow on the back of this dress - stunning!!


Alongside the lovely people, there were also the numpties who, sorry to moan, were a pain.  One family thought it funny to try our original 1930’s hats on their childrens’ heads before taking a photograph.  Even my loudest tut and hardest Paddington Bear stare didn’t get my annoyance across.  Most people respect that the clothes are, quite simply, irreplaceable, but those that don’t get my goat!  :o)

After a long but very enjoyable day, we rolled home at 7.30 where I promptly rang for a take-away (I wasn’t about to cook having spent 10 hours on my feet, thank you very much) and once little Y’s were tucked up, I fell into bed myself at 9pm.  I’m still suffering today with somewhat sore feet so I shall go and rest them and do some knitting while I have some peace because Mr Y has taken critters two to the park :o)  

4 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures - wish I could have got along
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there!
    I bought the Susan Small! Thank you for posting the picture, I can't seem to find the professional photographs that were taken for the Duxford Press? I really want to stay in touch, you have some beautiful millinery, and we share a fandom of Goodnight Sweetheart! If you have a website, please post a link to it as I'm interested to see more stock.

    See you soon!

    Holly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow sounds like a great day! I love seeing old planes and those hats are gorgeous! God I would have been so annoyed with the kids and the hats, they're so old and need to be respected! Sounds like a lovely day anyway! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete