Friday 5 October 2012

Needlewoman & Needlecraft Issue 1 - the kindness of a stranger

Just a very quick post about something which recently made me smile :o)

If you have been following my blog for a while, you may have seen the post about my collection of Needlewoman and Needlecraft magazines. 

These magazines are a wonderful source of amazing knitting patterns and the early wartime editions are becoming incredibly hard to find.  I've been on the search for a copy of the illusive first edition for a number of years.  It's been very much a needle in a haystack sort of search, hoping that one might turn up on eBay or at a vintage fair!  Frustratingly, I had been unsuccessful..........until now!!!! 

Delivered last week, and now taking pride of place in my Needlewoman and Needlecraft collection, is...........


This wonderful first issue, in amazing condition, came to me as a gift.  What makes the gift even more special is that it came from a perfect stranger! 

A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted out of the blue by a lovely lady who had seen my blog.  She and her husband had been sorting through a relative's effects and had come across some knitting magazines, including issue 1 of Needlewoman and Needlecraft magazine.  While searching online to find out more about the items they had found, they stumbled across my post on the Needlewoman and Needlecraft magazine.  Seeing that I didn't have issue 1 they decided to give me the copy they had found!  I couldn't quite believe it and was so incredibly touched and honoured.

The magazine is even better than I could have imagined.  It is a wonderful first edition packed full of ideas for home items and clothing.  It has a very charming introduction, written by the Principal of the Royal School of Needlework at the time, a Lady Smith-Dorrien, D.B.E, she wrote;

"At a time when all forms of needlework are at once a pleasure, a solace and a service, I welcome the new journal and wish it the success it deserves".

The magazine features patterns for the men and women folk who were "doing their bit" with jumpers which had been specially designed so that they would not show under tunics.


A charming pair of woolies for spring - just look at the matching posies!  I have added the two-tone purple jumper to my "to knit" list, a list which is somewhat long! :o)


Crests of H.M Services - I'm not sure which I like better, the crests so beautifully embroidered or the line drawings at the top of the page featuring, I think, Buckingham Palace and a plane.  A Blenheim perhaps?


The magazine is simply excellent and a very welcome addition to my collection.  It's a wonderful piece of history and, like so many publications of the time, gives us a small glimpse into what life was like for the 1940's woman.  

I am incredibly touched, honoured and amazed that someone, who doesn't know me and lives a considerable distance away could do something so kind and generous.  It has definitely restored my faith in human kindness! 

To the couple who gave it to me, if you happen to be reading this - thank you once again, it will be safe with me :o)

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you! I have number one but not in such good condition as yours though! But about twenty or so years ago mum went to jumble sale and picked up a small embroidery of the Royal Engineers badge as shown in the picture (dad was in the REME's).
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete